Tuesday 25 December 2012

Holiday recall


“As little children we would dream of Christmas morn, and all our gifts and toys…we knew we’d find but we never realized…a baby born one blessed night…gave us the greatest gift of our lives…”

Undeniably, when we were kids, we never cared for anything on Christmas day but the gifts we received that we believed came from Santa Claus who would sneak into our house through the chimney (ironically, houses here in the Philippines do not have chimneys, and has nobody ever wondered where he would try to get inside the house?). As we grew up, we had absorbed the real meaning of Christmas, why dawn masses were held before the 25th, and for whom we would really celebrate the occasion.

But, of course, it feels good to relive childhood memories—those times that our concept of the yuletide season was shallow, when a small simple gift would draw curves on our lips and when upon seeing Christmas tree covered with colorful and dancing lights, the joy in our hearts would ignite.

I remember spending Christmas day at my grandmother’s brother’s beautiful house in Marikina City where I played games with other children whom I didn’t even know (were we related to one another?). Toys were prepared and wrapped as prizes for the winners. Of course I got some—a ball, a set of power rangers, a toy gun and other toys I can no longer recall.


That's me, the baby in red shoes, when I was about 1 year old.


I can't recall whether I was two or three on this picture. In the back is the swimming pool at my grandmother's brother's house.

When he moved to the United States, we would all gather at my grandmother’s house in Novaliches for a family reunion, a good time to keep up with aunts, uncles and cousins since we all live far away from one another. Being good at cooking, my grandmother would prepare delicious and mouth watering food nobody would ever forget. The fun was incomparable and the excitement, unforgettable. We would share stories around the dining table full of foods and fill the room with resounding laughter. It’s something I really miss and would love to have over and over.

This year’s Christmas day is a break from tradition as I stayed here in the province, but my little celebration compensates for the absence of the usual Christmas noise I hear from the neighborhood in Manila, the first time in five years. No fancy food, no colorful Christmas tree, no cousins around to keep up with, but the curves on my lips are ever present.

Happy Christmas! Happy birthday, Jesus!

13 days to 21.




No comments:

Post a Comment