Monday 7 January 2013

It’s happening—my 21st birthday.


Coming of age is dreadful for some because it means bigger responsibilities and fewer perks. And everyone expects you to be more mature and have a clearer understanding of things.

But I’m happy about my coming of age because I know I’m up to the challenges that the bigger world is about to roll out before me. I’m thankful that in the past years, I learned to be mature enough to understand things. Past events made me tough, honed my skills, developed my personality and crafted me into who I am now.


Pre-birthday celebration at my grandmother's house on January 3. Burp!

Of course, I still committed mistakes along the way and tripped because of wrong decisions and the occasional irrational thinking. But I learned a lot from those experiences and became wiser in decision making and risk taking.


Pondering upon things in the past, I learned that people don’t always stay in your life the way you want them to, but you have to appreciate even their littlest effort to draw a curve on your lips; that when things don’t fit, you have to let go because it only hurts the harder you try; that being mature is not relative to age, but is dependent on an individual’s choice; and that finding happiness in everything, even the simplest, is better than chasing it.

Now that I’m 21, I know there will be more lessons to learn, more things to appreciate, more people to love and more blessings to be thankful for.

Changes are about to come. In three months’ time, I will face the bigger world outside school. During the Holidays, I will no longer be just a receiver but also a giver. There’s a new sense of freedom to enjoy that comes with greater responsibility.

Well, I’m happy, and am going to make the most out of this special day.

1 comment: