Tuesday 10 July 2012

#1: Eating 'tokneneng'

It’s pretty clear that I cannot use my size and weight as proof, but believe me, I love food. That is why whenever I have nothing to do, it’s the first thing I look for. And talking about eating when not busy, the first that comes to mind is tokneneng.

For those who don’t know what tokneneng is (perhaps they come from a very wealthy family and the street food they know is the one that’s coming from fastfood chains, or there might be foreigners reading my blog whose curiosity has been ignited), it is a boiled duck egg colored orange and covered with water-and-flour mixture which will then be dip-fried.  Sold on carts along sidewalks, it has become a regular snack of many.







And I’m one of those who have fallen in love with this protein-rich delight. In fact, it has already become my comfort food, giving me a jump in my heart and my taste buds some kind of pleasure it craves for after a day’s hard work. Dipping it in vinegar spiced with red chilli just makes it more delicious and undeniably mouth-watering. 

Add to that the happiness you get, not just from the food itself, but from that moment of eating it with your friends who have also been looking forward to spending quality time with you.

And the best drink to gulp down after consuming a mouthful of tokneneng? WATER. (Burp)

No comments:

Post a Comment